Wednesday, June 1, 2011

...Shaquille O'Neal

After 19 seasons in the NBA Shaquille O'Neal has announced that he is retiring. He made he announcement via Twitter with a video











Later he spoke with Jackie MacMullan of ESPN and said:
"I really, really thought about coming back, but this achilles is very damaged and if I had it done the recovery would be so long we'd have same outcome as this last year -- everyone sitting around and waiting for me. I didn't want to let people down two years in a row. I didn't want to hold Boston hostage again. I'm letting everybody know now so Danny (Ainge) and the organization can try to get younger talent. I would love to come back, but they say once the Achilles is damaged it's never the same. I don't want to take that chance."

Shaq will be remembered for his stature, of course, his board shattering dunks along with his amazing stats. He compiled four Championship rings, three Finals MVP Awards, one NBA MVP Award, was named to the All-Star team 15 times and was awarded the 1993 NBA Rookie of the Year Award. He is currently fifth on the NBA all-time scoring list with 28,596 points (728 ahead of Bryant). His 58.2 field goal percentage is second-best in NBA history only to Artis Gilmore's 59.9 percent. He also stands at seventh on the all-time blocks list with 2,732 and thirteenth on the all-time rebounds list with 13,099. Can we say future Hall of Famer? Maybe he will come back in a year or two, but I highly doubt it. He can get married now and live happily doing whatever he wants...law enforcement, reality TV star, etc. I am giving this news a Digit Up because he has had a great career and will have an great post NBA career for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment