Saturday, September 10, 2011

...Tigers

Roar goes the tiger. Three tigers in El Paso, Texas are in the news for murder. Three-year-old Malayan tiger Seri killed 6-year-old Wzui in a rare attack that came after months of simmering jealousy in a feline love triangle. It seems as if the male tiger was getting too close and friendly with another female tiger and that did not sit well with the other female tiger, so she killed him. I laughed when I read this, I giggle as I write this. Malayan tigers are a critically endangered species, with just 500 or so of the animals remaining in the wilds of Thailand and Malaysia, I guess we see why. Both Seri and Wzui were on loan from other zoos as part of the American Zoo Association's Species Survival Plan to aid in their conservation through captive breeding. Zoo keepers had not observed any signs of aggression leading up to the attack, and that the two cats had been seen playing affectionately at the exhibit earlier in the day, or sot hey thought... I guess humans and animals are not so different. I am glad that this happened in Texas because there you can call what she did a crime of passion and receive a lesser sentence, no death penalty for her, though she already was sentenced to life behind bars. HA! I am giving this news a Digit Up just from the odd humor I found in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment